Sunday, August 8, 2010

"On an island in the sun.."


Being back in California after being gone for a couple weeks definitely feels weird. I felt like I was gone for so long. Part of me never wanted to leave! My connecting flight in Las Vegas got majorly delayed, and seeing as I am not old enough to participate in any Vegas fun, I really wanted to just hop on a plane back to the east coast and spend the rest of my summer there. But I am also glad to be home and take in all the California I can get until I am back at Stonehill until Christmas.

This past weekend was the US Open for surfing in Huntington Beach. I went with two of my friends, Marissa and Allison for a day. It was so much fun! Marissa has been gone vacationing in Brazil for the past month, so it was so great to be able to spend time with her again! The whole day was great! Huntington Beach is really not far at all from my house, but with all the craziness that is the US Open, it became quite an ordeal just to get there! Once we got within a couple miles, there were cars everywhere and it took us almost an hour to find parking! We took my Mini Cooper, so we were able to find a little spot I could fit into, but even in that small of a car, it still took a few times to get it all parallel parked in there!


After that, it was still a 20 minute walk to the pier where the concert actually was. By the time we got there, most of the surfing was done, but the main reason we wanted to go was because the band, Weezer, was having a free concert by the pier! There were SO many people there! It was a lot of pushing and getting extremely familiar with people you've never met, but it was all worth it. Hot Hot Heat opened for Weezer. They did a great job, but it was really Weezer that made it great. They were phenomenal, and definitely one of the best bands I have ever seen perform live. The concert lasted about 2 hours. We thought that was a pretty full set, especially for free! It was such a great day! It also took us about an hour just to get out of downtown Huntington because of all the cars. I drive a stick, so my left foot was getting sore from being stuck in first gear for so long, but I would do it again for another chance to see a show like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment